Upward Bound Classic (UB) is a federal grant program funded by the Department of Education that provides fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in their pre-college performance and ultimately in their higher education pursuits.
Upward Bound Programs are 100% funded by the Department of Education. For more information regarding Upward Bound Programs and all other TRiO Programs visit the Department of Education website.
Our UB Programs currently serve students at Alvarado, Keene, Rio Vista, and Venus High Schools.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to participate in Upward Bound Programs?
What does it cost to participate in Upward Bound Programs?
What services do Upward Bound Programs provide?
- Personal academic counseling
- Tutorial services for STAAR exams & secondary education courses
- Information on postsecondary education
- Exposure to college campuses
- Information on student financial assistance for postsecondary education
- Financial literacy training
- Assistance in completing college admissions and financial aid applications
- Assistance in preparing for college entrance exams
- Workshops for the families of participants
- Summer college-going simulation program, focusing on math, laboratory science, composition, literature, and foreign language.
- Field site visits
What schools participate?
How are Upward Bound Programs structured?
During the summer break, Upward Bound Programs host a 6-week Summer Program designed to simulate a college-going experience, focusing on math, laboratory science, composition & literature, and foreign language.
The Upward Bound Programs from Opportunity Resource Services are committed to serving students and their families by providing flexible, customized programming to meet each student’s needs. The goal of the programs is to supplement the activities and programs in which students are already involved. Therefore, ORS Upward Bound program staff will make every effort to accommodate each student’s schedule.
The Upward Bound Program is committed to providing opportunities to all qualified people regardless of economic or social status and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnic, creed, religion, political beliefs, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, veteran’s status, or physical or mental disability. The Upward Bound Program is 100% federally funded by the U.S. Department of Education for $287,537 annually.