The Upward Bound Math & Science (UBMS) Programs identify and assist individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds who have the potential to succeed in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) fields. UBMS Programs provide academic support, career mentoring, college advising, and financial aid counseling to participants with the ultimate goal of ensuring they complete high school, and enroll in and complete a program of post secondary education.
Upward Bound Math & Science is a federal grant program funded by the Department of Education designed to strengthen Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) fields. skills of participating students. The goal of the program is to help students recognize and develop their potential to excel in math and science and to encourage them to pursue post secondary degrees in STEM professions.
Upward Bound Math & Science Programs are 100% funded by the Department of Education. For more information regarding Upward Bound Programs and all other TRIO Programs visit the Department of Education website.
Our UBMS Programs currently serve students at Alvarado, Keene, Rio Vista, and Venus High Schools.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to participate in Upward Bound Math & Science Program?
What does it cost to participate in Upward Bound Math & Science Program?
What services does Upward Bound Math & Science provide?
- Personal academic counseling
- Tutorial services for STAAR exams & secondary education courses
- Information on postsecondary education
- Exposure to college campuses
- Information on student financial assistance for postsecondary education
- Financial literacy training
- Assistance in completing college admissions and financial aid applications
- Assistance in preparing for college entrance exams
- Workshops for the families of participants
- Summer college-going simulation program, focusing on math, laboratory science, composition, literature, and foreign language.
- Field site visits
What schools participate?
How is the Upward Bound Math & Science program structured?
During the summer break, the Upward Bound Math and Science Programs host a 6-week summer program designed to simulate a college-going experience, focusing on math, laboratory science, composition & literature, and foreign language.
The Upward Bound Math & Science Program is committed to providing opportunities to all qualified people regardless of economic or social status and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnic, creed, religion, political beliefs, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, veteran’s status, or physical or mental disability. The Upward Bound Math & Science Program is 100% federally funded by the U.S. Department of Education for $$297,601 annually.