Upward Bound Math & Science is a federal grant program funded by the Department of Education designed to strengthen Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) fields. skills of participating students. The goal of the program is to help students recognize and develop their potential to excel in math and science and to encourage them to pursue post secondary degrees in math and science, and ultimately careers in the math and science professions.
Upward Bound Math & Science Programs are 100% funded by the Department of Education. For more information regarding Upward Bound Programs and all other TRiO Programs visit the Department of Education website.
Our UBMS Programs currently serve students at Alvarado, Keene, Rio Vista, and Venus High Schools.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to participate in Upward Bound Math & Science Program?
What does it cost to participate in Upward Bound Math & Science Program?
What services does Upward Bound Math & Science provide?
- Personal academic counseling
- Tutorial services for STAAR exams & secondary education courses
- Information on postsecondary education
- Exposure to college campuses
- Information on student financial assistance for postsecondary education
- Financial literacy training
- Assistance in completing college admissions and financial aid applications
- Assistance in preparing for college entrance exams
- Workshops for the families of participants
- Summer college-going simulation program, focusing on math, laboratory science, composition, literature, and foreign language.
- Field site visits
What schools participate?
How is the Upward Bound Math & Science program structured?
During the summer break, the Upward Bound Math and Science Programs host a 6-week summer program designed to simulate a college-going experience, focusing on math, laboratory science, composition & literature, and foreign language.